Today on The Doctors, Dr. Ordon gives an audience member a consultation on the air. After losing 50 pounds she is wondering if she is a candidate for a breast lift or a body lift.
Dr. Ordon explains that when considering a breast lift its all about the relationship of your nipple to your crease. If the nipple has fallen below that crease you are a candidate for a breast lift. See the before and after photo to see where the crease is.
Unfortunately, excess quantities of loose skin tend to remain after massive weight loss. A few years ago, Danny Cahill, the winner of NBC's Biggest Loser, was on the Doctors TV show after a few surgical procedures to show off his new body. After losing 239 pounds on the The Biggest Loser, albeit without the aid of weight loss surgery, Danny still had a massive amount of skin that used to house the extra weight. After losing 55.58% of his total starting weight, this excess skin was essentially just hanging off of his body.
Photo courtesy of TheDoctorsTV.com
A major surgical procedure, a Body Lift can help patients with an excessive amount of loose skin after major weight loss. "A body lift is an absolutely wonderful procedure. It's very powerful and can give a woman back her waistline and give her a nice S-curve to her hips and waist. It balances both the front and the back and is truly a transformative procedure," describes Houston board certified plastic surgeon Dr. Paul Vitenas.
Before and After Photos of Cosmetic Surgery Results of Biggest Loser
winner Danny CahillImage Courtesy of www.thedoctorstv.com
Here are 5 things to consider before undergoing a Body Lift:
- A body lift is not for weight loss, it is a procedure to remove over laying or sagging skin after significant weight loss
- The ideal candidate for a body lift is anyone who has lost significant amount of weight and now has an apron-like or excess of sagging skin in the abdomen, arms or breasts
- Although some fat may be removed with liposuction performed at the same time, a body lift is mainly for skin removal and not for fat reduction
- Body lift surgery is a major surgery, and should not be taken lightly - stages of recovery could take from 2-6 weeks or more
- Scarring is an initial concern with body lift patients but these concerns are usually dissipated once they see the new shape of their body
Actual Body Lift Results by Dr. Paul Vitenas