Gynecomastia is the medical term for enlargement of the male breast. While enlarged breasts are a normal transient occurrence in about 70% of boys going through puberty, only 1% of adult men experience the condition in varying degrees. It is important that a physician determines if the enlargement is a result of abnormal breast glands or if the problem is an excess amount of fat in the breast area due to weight gain. It is also possible that intense chest workouts can cause breasts to appear more prominent because of increased bulk in the pectoral muscles underneath the breasts. Surgery to correct gynecomastia can be performed on healthy, emotionally stable men of any age, but may be discouraged for obese men, or for overweight men who have not first attempted to correct the problem with exercise or weight loss. Men who drink a lot of alcohol or use marijuana are usually not considered good candidates for surgery. Alcohol and marijuana are known to be associated strongly with the condition, as well as current or prior use of anabolic steroids. A good plastic surgeon will require that the patient discontinues use of any of those substances before considering surgery.Request a Consultation
Nuveau Medical Aesthetics
• Specializing in Botox, dermal fillers (Restylane, Juvederm, Radiesse), moderate to severe acne treatments (without using Accutane), & laser skin resurfacing
• Procedures performed by medical director, Christine S. Cheng, MD
• Elegant, private medical spa facility conveniently located between River Oaks, Montrose, Midtown, Downtown & The Heights
• Individualized care including a complimentary one-on-one physician consultation & skin analysis with digital photography using both visible & UV lighting
• Full compliment of non-invasive medical treatments & medi-spa services incorporating the latest & most advanced technology designed to achieve the results you expect
• “Liquid Face Lift” provides immediate and lasting results that could delay or replace expensive surgical alternatives
• Texas’ exclusive provider of SkinPrint® physician-grade prescriptive skincare products – custom formulated specifically to meet the needs of your skin
Dr. Christine S. Cheng is a board certified physician who is devoting her full-time practice to aesthetics and wellness medicine. Always artistically and musically inclined, Dr. Cheng graduated with honors in Piano Performance at the University of Texas in Austin while completing her pre-medical studies. She then attended the University of Texas Medical Branch in Galveston, where she received her M.D. degree. Dr. Cheng obtained her post-graduate medical training in Houston, Texas with the Memorial Family Medicine Residency Program. Dr. Cheng is a graduate of the Ageless Aesthetic Institute. She trained under Dr. Sharon McQuillan, whose expertise in Botox, injectable fillers, and cosmetic laser procedures are world-renowned.
Dr. Cheng has worked with patients of all ages and from all walks of life. She has served as a clinical professor, with appointments from both the University of Texas Medical Branch and the University of Texas at Houston Medical School. She is also an active member of the American Academy of Anti-Aging Medicine, the Texas Medical Association, and the American Academy of Family Physicians. Since her decision to leave music and the arts to devote her career to medicine, Dr. Cheng has continually sought to integrate her artistic talents and the appreciation of beauty into her practice. She firmly believes in the strong connection between the art of beauty and the science of wellness, and constantly strives to inspire and help her patients to live up to their fullest potential.